Steveco’s history is deemed to have begun in 1884, when Jöns Bruhn made a declaration to the administrative court that he would launch a stevedoring business at the port of Kotka in Finland. In those days, ships were loaded so that the stevedores first rowed to the ship which was lying in the roadstead, and the contract was agreed with the skipper by shaking hands. What the young sailor from Sweden saw here was a niche in the market.
Steveco Oy was created in 1988 through the merger of Oy Kotka Stevedoring and Hamina Oy. The Federation Stevedoring Company, Oy Blomberg Ab, Oy Cadenius & Grahn Ab, Oy Fredrikshamn Stevedoring Ab, Viipurin Hiili ja Koksi Oy. These are some of the renowned port-related enterprises behind Steveco, which have gradually merged into one over the decades. The current Steveco is the leading port operator in Finland and the market leader in the transport of the products of the Finnish wood-processing industry and in transit transport.